Jump to Navigation
Call Today (860) 967-3207Contact me for a free consultation, no matter what your legal concern.
Solutions in Family Law, Real Estate and Criminal Defense

Child Support

Connecticut Child Support Lawyer

I am an experienced family law attorney who can represent your interests in all aspects of child support. Based in West Hartford, the Law Offices of Doris B. D'Ambrosio represents custodial and noncustodial parents in Hartford County, New Haven County and surrounding Northern Connecticut.

Fairness in Calculating Child Support

Connecticut has mandatory child support guidelines, so I can give you an accurate estimate of what you would pay or receive in a divorce. The formula is based on income of both parents, and factors in daycare expenses and unreimbursed medical costs. I can get involved if you believe the paying parent is not reporting income from all sources.

Support Enforcement

Connecticut is good about enforcing child support. A judge can impute the ability to earn income , so the paying parent cannot escape obligations through voluntary unemployment or underemployment. A judge can require a nonpaying parent to get a job under threat of jail. The state will also pursue wage garnishment, including unpaid support from an ex-spouse living in another state.

Modifications and Parent Relocation

The court will alter child support if a substantial change in circumstances (job layoff) would result in a 15 percent difference in support obligations. Child support may also be modified if one parent takes a greater (or lesser) percentage of parenting time.

Connecticut courts are very reluctant to let one parent relocate out of state with the children, especially if it would deprive the noncustodial parent of their active role in the child's life. Remarriage or a better job are not necessarily sufficient reason. If the move is granted, the relocating parent may have to accept less child support and other concessions.

If you have questions or concerns about child support, please call me at 860-232-5515 . I offer a free initial consultation on all family law matters.